It has been our mission to restore and refurbish this grand old building.  As part of this plan, we decided to transform the Melrose from a tavern to a neighborhood steakhouse, while preserving the rustic charm it has held for the past 100 years.

~ Armondo & Angela Pavone ~
~ Franco & Avalonne Phillips ~

Restaurant Address:
819 Houser Way S.
Renton, WA  98057
(425) 254-0759

EMAIL

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 4035
Renton, WA 98057


Office Phone:
(425) 228-4334


OPEN 5:00 DAILY


History of the Melrose Grill
Established in 1901, the Melrose is rich in history.


1901

Englishman Ben Atkinson built a three-story hotel, café and saloon with the money he made in the gold fields of the Alaskan Yukon. The 60-room hotel was upstairs with the café and saloon located on the bottom floor. The saloon was the watering hole of many coal miners and brick factory workers.
 

1918

Prohibition did not diminish the popularity of the Melrose. It flourished as a pool hall, card room and soda parlor.
 

1928

Fire leveled the top two floors and a portion of the bottom level of the Melrose. Fortunately the saloon remained intact including the mirrored back bar which remains today in the Melrose.
 

1939

Robert Dobson purchased the bar from Ben’s son, George Atkinson.
 

1946

Jimy Nattucici and Tim Bertozzi purchased and operated the tavern.
 

1972

Nattucici sold the Melrose to famed local boxer Boone Kirkman. Boone added a sparring ring as well as his practice bag to the décor of the tavern. The Melrose overflowed when Boone’s fights were televised.
 

1997 Armondo Pavone, Tim and Kimberly Searing, and Charles and Beverly Keeslar, purchased the building from Louie Barei.
 
2002 The Melrose Grill opened on January 13, 2002.